Whether you’ve never contributed to WordPress (http://make.wordpress.org/) before, or if you’ve done so for years, you’re invited to the first WPLDN All Dayer a WordPress Contributor Day. This is your chance to learn how to contribute, hang out with others who love to contribute, and push some of your own contributions — all in one day.
It will be a day of fun, active day of learning, supporting, coding, testing, documentation and hanging out. Members from different teams including core, documentation and themes will be present to help you get up to speed with how you can contribute to WordPress.
Don’t know exactly what you want to do? No problem! Just show up and we’ll help you find a team that suits you. .
Not a coder?
That’s okay too, you do not need to be a developer to be contributing back to WordPress. There are plenty of non-code ways to contribute to the WordPress community, including documentation, testing, support and polyglots. .
To keep ourselves fuelled, we are putting on lunch, snacks and brews during the day.
Contributions to WordPress are split into different teams. A list of the teams can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/ Please review the different teams ahead of the event and see which ones interest you
If you are unsure of which team you would like to join that is completely fine, there will be people on the day who can help discuss what it is that you are looking to help with.
If you would like to join multiple teams, that is also not a problem. During the day you will be free to switch between teams as you want.
Set up ahead of time:
To ensure that we maximise the day, we recommend that you have the following downloaded and installed on the day. If you have any issues, don’t worry there will be support on the day to help get you set up.
- A basic text editor
- A local development environment; for example, MAMP (http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html), WAMP (http://www.wampserver.com/en/), Vagrant & ( (https://www.vagrantup.com/)ViirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) or VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/uk)), or XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/index.html).
- WordPress Meta Environment (https://github.com/iandunn/wordpress-meta-environment) is also available for working on Meta sites like developer.wordpress.org (https://developer.wordpress.org/) and wordcamp.org (http://central.wordcamp.org/).
- VVV (https://github.com/Varying-Vagrant-Vagrants/VVV) – is available for anyone who wants a vagrant box of WordPress.
An initial running order has been put together but please be aware that this is subject to change:
- 09:30 – 10:00 Registration
- 10:00 – 10:30 intro & Groups
- 10:30 – 13:00 First Session
- 13:00 – 14:30 Lunch with 30 minute talk at 14:00
- 14:30 – 17:00 Second Session
- 17:00 – 17:30 Wrap Up
After the event, a few of us will be heading to the The Blacksmith and The Toffeemaker (http://theblacksmithandthetoffeemaker.co.uk/) for some post contribution drinks. You are all more than welcome to come and join us!